Latest Trends in Massage Therapy Career Infographic

Increased awareness around the world regarding the benefits of massage has boosted the careers of massage therapists.

Should you choose this career path?

Your career as a massage therapist can bring you desired results only when:

  1. You are deeply interested in the various benefits of a quality massage therapy.
  2. You love to promote the overall health of people by giving massage.
Massage can immensely contribute to the physical and mental wellbeing of a person. Some of the ways through which massaging ensures wellness are:
  • Treating painful joints and muscles
  • Minimizing stress and depression
  • Healing sports-related injuries
  • Relaxing tired muscles
  • Improving cardiovascular health
  • Managing the effects of dementia
  • Relieving acute neck pain
  • Lowering blood pressure
  • Soothing post-operative pain
  • Reducing aches and pains associated with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis
  • Eliminating nausea related to chemotherapy
  • Ensuring better sleep
  • Promoting relaxation

As a therapist of massage, you will be expected, with the correct training and experience, to:

  • Communicate with clients to understand more fully their expectations regarding massage
  • Know about any symptoms and medical backgrounds of your clients
  • Manipulate body points with soft tissues
  • Knead muscles by applying gentle pressure
  • Guide the client on how to improve his posture
  • Inform him or her on how to get overall relaxation
Chair Massage 1

Are You a Reliable Massage Therapist?

You will be considered reliable if you:

  • Hold a certificate from a recognized massage therapy organization
  • Have completed graduation from an accredited massage therapy programme
  • Possess liability insurance
  • Know the local and state regulations
  • Underwent additional training programmes in different courses of massage therapy

Ideally, to help a client get the best experience, you will

  1. Listen to clients with patience and have overall great communication skills
  2. Acquire an in-depth knowledge about different massage techniques
  3. Be strong enough to create pressure through a series of movements
  4. Protect the privacy of the clients
  5. Be able to build the trust of the client
  6. Create a comfortable ambience for the ease of your clients
  7. Be an outstanding decision-maker
  8. Demonstrate time-management skills
massage therapist

Specialized Areas of a Massage Therapist

A good massage therapist needs to do specialization in various kinds of massages. Some of the common types of massage are:

Deep Tissue Massage
Deep Tissue Massage
Swedish Massage
Swedish Massage
Chair Massage
Chair Massage
Thai Massage
Thai Massage
Sports Massage
Sports Massage
Hot Stone Massage
Hot Stone Massage

Major Job Offering Sectors

  1. Offices of Chiropractors
  2. Fitness and centres of recreational sports
  3. Providing accommodation to the tourists, including hotels and motels
  4. Personal care service providers

Working Ambience

Both part time and full-time job openings exist for massage therapists

Highly skilled professionals are recruited quickly

With people becoming more educated about massage, employment opportunities are expected to grow by 19% in the near future. As referrals are a significant part for generating revenues to massage therapists, they are recommended to start an effective marketing and networking campaign.

Massage courses for beginners offer an outstanding career option, enabling them to earn a lucrative salary.

Today, almost 60% massage professionals are self-employed and the remaining 40% are working under the employers.