Increased awareness around the world regarding the benefits of massage has boosted the careers of massage therapists.
Should you choose this career path?
Your career as a massage therapist can bring you desired results only when:
- You are deeply interested in the various benefits of a quality massage therapy.
- You love to promote the overall health of people by giving massage.
- Treating painful joints and muscles
- Minimizing stress and depression
- Healing sports-related injuries
- Relaxing tired muscles
- Improving cardiovascular health
- Managing the effects of dementia
- Relieving acute neck pain
- Lowering blood pressure
- Soothing post-operative pain
- Reducing aches and pains associated with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis
- Eliminating nausea related to chemotherapy
- Ensuring better sleep
- Promoting relaxation
- Communicate with clients to understand more fully their expectations regarding massage
- Know about any symptoms and medical backgrounds of your clients
- Manipulate body points with soft tissues
- Knead muscles by applying gentle pressure
- Guide the client on how to improve his posture
- Inform him or her on how to get overall relaxation
Are You a Reliable Massage Therapist?
You will be considered reliable if you:
- Hold a certificate from a recognized massage therapy organization
- Have completed graduation from an accredited massage therapy programme
- Possess liability insurance
- Know the local and state regulations
- Underwent additional training programmes in different courses of massage therapy
- Listen to clients with patience and have overall great communication skills
- Acquire an in-depth knowledge about different massage techniques
- Be strong enough to create pressure through a series of movements
- Protect the privacy of the clients
- Be able to build the trust of the client
- Create a comfortable ambience for the ease of your clients
- Be an outstanding decision-maker
- Demonstrate time-management skills
Specialized Areas of a Massage Therapist
A good massage therapist needs to do specialization in various kinds of massages. Some of the common types of massage are:
Major Job Offering Sectors
- Offices of Chiropractors
- Fitness and centres of recreational sports
- Providing accommodation to the tourists, including hotels and motels
- Personal care service providers
Highly skilled professionals are recruited quickly
With people becoming more educated about massage, employment opportunities are expected to grow by 19% in the near future. As referrals are a significant part for generating revenues to massage therapists, they are recommended to start an effective marketing and networking campaign.
Today, almost 60% massage professionals are self-employed and the remaining 40% are working under the employers.